Friday, September 2, 2011

I'm going off on a tangent about music in general.



We're going to start today off with a couple definitions from Dictionary.com

mu·sic   [myoo-zik]noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions insignificant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody,harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line(melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to besounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

in·stru·ment   [in-struh-muhnt]noun
1. a mechanical tool or implement, especially one used fordelicate or precision work: surgical instruments.
2. a contrivance or apparatus for producing musical sounds: astringed instrument.

Many years ago when I started down a path of composing with MIDI and a computer, all I ever heard was "that's not music. I could do that in my sleep too... if I had a computer". Guess what people, it's not that easy. Last night I sat at my computer for almost 4 hours programming one synthesizer to sound just the way I wanted it to. I had to create it first. I don't just go and use some pre-made patch. I tediously go through all the settings of what I want to make the sound I want.

Many years ago, when Elvis and the Beatles and Rock 'n Roll itself were just in their infancy, they got a lot of the same crap. That's not music, it's just noise. How do you dance to that? Why does it have to be so loud? And so on, and so on.

I think there are a lot of artists out there who are getting a lot of the same crap. Now, I do not LIKE all music. Some of it downright bothers me. But, I do know that a lot went in to making it and I respect that I myself can not just go and do the same thing (I'm looking at you, Country and Rap). There's a lot of electronic music out there right now that is starting to get the same amount of flak. Dubstep is a big one. You might not think it's music, but you would be wrong. I've heard the same with this as I did when I first started composing. "that's not music, I could do that in my sleep."

It's a pain in the ass to learn some of the techniques in certain genres of music. Hell, I love synth programming and I still teach myself something new every time I go and fire up my computer. I force myself to. It's the only way I'm going to get better. It's like practice for the guitar. You only get better if you keep working at it. 

Some of these songs you hear take weeks, if not months, to finalize. Just because I recorded them solely with my computer doesn't make them any less of an accomplishment.

Today was better because my computer is my instrument of choice. With it, while you may not agree, I make some damn good music that makes ME happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment