Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ES2: Chicago interview with Gooby and The Goddamn Batman of Ego Likeness

I probably should have let Ego Likeness know how I operate when it comes to doing interviews.  I work my interviews like a conversation. One question at a time this way people can get responses out and it actually flows. I'm not sure why, but I've been told this interview would only be done if I referred to myself as "Busty" and in the middle of the interview Steven decided he was "The Goddamn Batman" and after it was all done, Donna said something about "Gooby" so that is now going to be her pet name in this interview.. Now that we all have our alter egos ready for this interview... here we go.

"Busty": A lot of people reading this may not be too familiar with Ego Likeness, I myself don't want to butcher any back story. Donna, why don't you give us a little history lesson. (Side note, I have complied with all demands on how I am to conduct myself and address myself... let's do this thing.)

Gooby: Well, Busty, Steven and I got together, started dating, and started a goth band sometime around 1997 or 98. It was pretty straightforward goth, and we found ourselves wanting to do something that incorporated our other influences, (and so help me, if you ask me what our influences are -as every single interviewer EVER has done- I'll cut you) so we started Ego Likeness. The goth band broke up and then we got married in 1999. We released our first full length EL album in 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember) with the help of a friend at the time, then did the next two albums with Dancing Ferret. We signed with Metropolis for 'Breedless' in 2010, and will be releasing the next full length at the beginning of next year. So in the past 12 years, there have been numerous members, numerous shows and tours, a couple of nervous breakdowns, and many, many miles put on our van.

"Busty": I will have to admit, I didn't know a whole lot about Ego Likeness untill the WTII Minifest last year. That was my first opportunity to hear you and see the live show. I was blown away. I love the stage presence and your voice with the music matches up perfectly. I know a lot of this scene seems to have a lot of acts that don't have women as the vocalist or the main focal point of the band. Have you found this a challenge at all to get people to notice Ego Likeness? (Don't worry, Steven... I have questions for you too...)

Gooby and The Goddamn Batman: Goat hunting
"Gooby": Thanks. We've been at this a long time, and I do often think about why we haven't made more of an impact, considering we sell well, get good reviews, people enjoy the shows, we get to open for some of the biggest acts around, etc... You may well have hit the nail on the head. It seems that in this scene female fronted bands don't get taken as seriously, though I can't put my finger on why. I think sometimes there is this attitude of "Oh, that's one of those bands where the guy does all the work and the girl -usually his girlfriend- is just there as eye candy." It is still a bit of a boys club out there. More than once before a performance, people have assumed that I was either the merch girl, or at best, the keyboard player. To be fair, though, with some pretty major and awesome exceptions, (Ayria, I:Scintilla, Sensuous Enemy, Hansel und Gretyl, to name a few who are ) some of the female singers for darkwave/ industrial bands I've seen could stand to step up their game a little. Confidence and a strong stage presence go a long way.

"Busty": Well, from the show I saw last year, you have the confidence. So do the other bands you mentioned as well.

Merch is an interesting transitional topic for me with your band. Ego Likeness had one of the most awesome merch tables I have ever seen. Why? Most of it wasn't "band" merch. There was art. Some crazy creepy stuff blended in with skulls and bones and they were turned in to necklaces and pendants, things of that nature. How did that all start? Is this something that was done by necessity to "change it up" a little bit and stand out?

"Gooby" : Well, you see, Busty...we are starving artists. We have no real skills beyond making things, so we've had to survive on what we know. Steven -who, incidentally, requested we refer to him from here on out as "The Goddamn Batman"- is an artist, and we are both writers, in addition to being musicians, and really- it's all tied together for us. When we started touring, we realized pretty quickly that CD and Tshirt sales alone weren't going to cut it - gas, food, van repairs, supplies, places to sleep - it adds up fast. Sometimes, some of those things are covered, but you're not going to get a swank room at the Super 8 every night, you know. Having all of the art and books and jewelry makes a huge difference in our income. And, as you said, I think it does help us stand out a bit. Nothing sadder than a nearly empty merch table.
"Busty": (Jesus, "The Goddamn Batman" needs to stop making so many demands. Anyway...) I tend to keep my interviews short (minus that Caustic one cause Matt and I talk like little girls when you get us together). I want your music and your live performance to speak for itself. If you've never read any of my other interviews, I have a staple in them. I watched a lot of game shows as a kid. So... it's time for...

The Lightning round! Five quick questions or statements, and five quick or wordy answers to them. It's going to be a little different this time because of who I'm interviewing and the fact that "The Goddamn Batman" should probably respond to at least one of these questions. So, questions 4 and 5 are specifically meant for him.

1) Band you can't miss at the ES2 show in Chicago:

2) Best book you've read in the last six months:

3) Your favorite meme:

4) Electronic Saviors and Jim Semonik:

5) Goat:

"Gooby" : 

1) Gothsicles

2)  "Gooby": JG Ballard "Myths of the Near Future"
TGDBM: Peter Watts "Blindsight

3)  "Gooby" : Dolan Duck (it's sooo dumb, but all I have to do is think "Gooby plz" and I crack up)
TGDBM: Insanity Wolf

4) He's one of our heroes, though he's still not going to make 'Yak' happen.

5) They have horizontal pupils and FUCK YEAH GOATS.

Also, thanks! You're a good sport, Busty! xx
"Busty": No, Thank you. I have fun doing this. I'll see you at the end of the month for the show.

"Gooby": We're so excited! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment