Thursday, April 12, 2012

Monoprice cables: Hands down the best

Monoprice
Monoprice - Awesome cables
I purchased a bunch of stuff for my home theater the other day from Monoprice.com. I got turned on to these guys a few years ago from a friend who was redoing his basement and adding a home theater room.


This time around I was adding in an HDMI Switch, a couple HDMI cables, a wall mount for another TV we have, and some auxiliary jack to rca cables for use with iPods and such. The last thing I got was a cable for my phone to go to my aux-in jack for my car. I didn't use it until I was almost to work. This cable is big (see picture to the left). I am used to a very tiny flexible cable that does the job just fine. The connector on it is like one of those pens that they give to people with arthritis problems. The big difference was when I turned on the stereo and put on some music. Holy crap was there a huge difference in sound. I always remember being told that if you give audio a larger cable that it would give it less resistance, therefore letting more of the signal through. I've always used thicker gauge speaker wire. I just never thought of applying it to a line source before (yes I know, technically it's a powered headphone jack on my phone, but still).

The bass response is amazing, I can tell the difference in clarity right away. Now, if you didn't look at the links I put up before, you might think that these cables are anywhere from $10-$20 a piece. That's what places like Best Buy and Monster Cable might have us think. I used to work at Best Buy. Their prices are insanely marked up on accessories. It's how they make their money. That cable there. Under $2. The HDMI cables were under $10 a piece and they have really nice black braided sleeves on them. 

If you can be patient, stay away from the big box stores. Buy from these guys. I've used them multiple times in the past and I've never had a bad experience with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment