Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I am recapping the weekend that was my vacation.

This picture right here summed up my vacation. More Greeks than you could shake a stick at (not recommended) and a lot of dancing. There were a few times that I even got out there and danced as well. I only know one of the dances, but I tried anyway.

There were kids of all ages doing their thing out there from the smallest baby who couldn't have been more than a year old doing his own zembekiko while a good fifty or more people stood by and cheered him on, to the elderly joining in the line.



The fest was one of two reasons we went out there. The other was that my girl's family is from RI, so we visited her aunt and uncle and her three cousins. Normally, when I think cousins, I think of people around my own age. These are kids. I'm old enough to be their dad. They are good kids. I feel bad for Stevra. three boys. Wow. I go nuts enough just having one boy in the house. She's got to deal with three of them all that are within four years of each other. I seem to get along with the middle one quite well.

So, now I will give the recap of the vacation... Starting from Wednesday night, all the way to getting back Monday afternoon. It was a hell of a trip.

Most people don't know, but I also had a water main break at my house that happened. The city I live in was to work on this while I was gone on vacation and let me know if there was any expense to me (as in, you're on your own buddy... sorry, can't work on it).

So, Wednesday night we stayed over at the residence of my children's grandparents. Luckily they live in the same city as me and have running water. I was able to take a shower and wash my hair and flush a toilet. Unlike at my house where the city had shut off the water so they could do work.

The next morning, we got up bright and early and got ready to go. Off to the airport. We were on time, had everything set to go. As we were waiting to board we hear "Ladies and gentlemen, your flight will be delayed due to a maintenance issue. Maintenance is on their way and we will keep you updated on the status of your flight." Super. We only had 38 minutes between flights as it was. This is going to cut it way close now. So, they fix everything and we started boarding at the time the flight was to take off. Super, I'm happy. We're on our way. We get to the end of the runway and the plane stops for 15 minutes. Then they tell us that they are turning around because the issue that was fixed, is not. Everyone is sent off the plane. Now we stand in line to get either a new connection from Cleveland, or a new flight to somewhere else all together. We're not getting to Providence any time soon.


After an hour and a half of standing in line, we are told that the flight is now leaving... and the second flight to Providence is booked. We felt defeated. They had to book us to Boston on a different airline (and one that is much better at handling customer service, I might add). After letting them know we checked a bag, we were off to a different concourse... and then we had to go check in again. On the new airline. So, back through security for a second time and we sat down to eat a quick bite in concourse D with our $8 food vouchers... for the inconvenience of having to re-book and sit around all day.

We were all set. We get to our gate and the flight says it's delayed by two hours. WTF! Cat's noticeably upset now. We're not getting in until the kids are supposed to be in bed. So, we wait again for two hours due to air traffic control grounding flights because of bad weather out east.

After waiting until almost 3pm, we got on the plane. Wouldn't you know it... we have an infant in our row with us. "Don't worry," the mother said, "She's a good flyer, she never cries." Bullshit, lady. Your kid cries every time and you say that every flight as to get the hopes up of every person you've ever sat next to. This child was pissed once we got off the ground and didn't stop crying until the last 20 minutes of the flight.

Once the flight from hell was over, we headed down to baggage claim... where Cat's bag... was not. Another ding in Continental's shitty customer service. First they make us wait in line for 90 minutes to re-book, then they give us a measly $8 for making us wait all day, then it's to a flight that is delayed by two hours, and to top it off they don't transfer the luggage as they said they would. Bravo, Continental, Bravo.

The bag itself, made it on the Providence flight that was completely booked and we could not get on to. We hop on the bus, get our tickets and ride the 90 minute ride to the bus terminal where, luckily, her Uncle was nice enough to take us to the airport and get the bag. Another 30 minutes later and we were at their house where her Aunt and the boys were all up waiting for us. There was no way her godson was going to bed without seeing her.

Friday itself was a good day. We just kinda kicked back and waited for everyone to come home so we could go off to Greek Fest. The oldest is in the adult group, and he loves dancing. He still has a ways to go, but he loves doing it. The younger two are in the junior and elementary groups. The middle one kept saying "I'm so glad I'm done with dancing after this fest". He'll keep doing it. He's just trying to get a rise out of his mom.

Saturday and Sunday were amazing. There were people dancing all day, the dance groups performed twice each day and put on great performances. I've been to the fest back home and it's nothing like this. Such a sense of family at this one. Everyone seems to know each other and they sit and eat and watch the dances and join in even if they don't know it. Quite amazing.

I did get to catch a baseball game on Saturday with the younger two kids. The middle one is in little league. Good player. Has a pretty good eye for fielding. It's a good thing I was there with the rental car, otherwise both of them would have missed their 4pm performances. I drove them back after getting an amazing sunburn that still stings a little bit. But, at least my head isn't radiating heat anymore. That's never fun.

Monday, we said our goodbyes. I think the boys purposely missed their buses so they could say good bye one last time. Cat's godson, in particular, missed because he wanted to see her until the last possible second.

We got our rental back, got to the plane and we were off. Nothing of note for the flight. Even the Cleveland connect was on time and everything was pretty smooth.... Then we got to the car. Apparently, my battery died because one of the dome lights was left on. We had to call Cat's brother to the rescue and get my car jumped. I was pissed at first, but it was a cherry on top of a crazy travel sundae.

Oh, and my water issue. I lucked out. the city fixed the whole thing. No cost to me at all. I have the best water pressure I've ever had in my house and it can only get better as I bleed the air out of a couple of the lines that have been dormant for a few years.

What a trip. After my vacation, I think I still need a vacation.



No comments:

Post a Comment