Monday, August 1, 2011

...I didn't die in an elevator today.

So, I was headed down to the lobby at work today. I'm on the 5th floor. Thanks to my knees, I rarely take the stairs.

Inside the elevator.
So, as I am headed to the front bank of elevators I was thinking what a great day it is. I was quite happy really. It was a sunny day outside, and there were just the right amount of clouds in the air for a summer day. Traffic didn't give me a hassle, my work day was going great.

I stepped in the elevator just as I have done many times before. I pressed the button to the first floor and awaited my swift transport to the ground floor. On the way I heard the pleasant dings of the bell alerting me that I have moved down another floor. After the third bell telling me I had reached the second floor, there was a loud "ka-chung" sound as the elevator stopped. I thought maybe it just hit hard on the first floor. The doors surely would open as they have done many times prior to this. However, today is not like every other day. No, today it decided to stop just after passing the second floor door. I opened my side of the door so I could better tell where I was. Sure enough there was a large #2 staring me in the face.



I called someone in the department right away. I asked her to let the lobby know I was in elevator #1 and that I was doing OK. I had no idea there was a phone in there, or if I should ring the alarm bell. I was afraid that if I rang the alarm bell it would keep going and going and drive me crazy. So, at first, I didn't touch it. Then, I pressed it out of curiosity. It stops when you let go. Thank goodness for that. So, I gave it a few rings and sat down. That's when someone outside asked if the phone worked. Sure enough, there is a phone in there. I had no idea. It worked.

I really had nothing else to do in there. I was alone on this adventure. I was told that I had to wait for the repair man to get there as I was truly stuck. Not a big deal for me. So I waited. I had just used the restroom, so I was good to go for a while (no pun intended).

Thoughts of "I'm going to be in here for a while" and "If I wasn't dressed so nice today I'd totally go all John McClain on this elevator and pop through the hatch" raced through my head. I've always wanted to see what is really beyond the steel box. Is it everything Hollywood has shown us from the inside of the Nakatomi tower in Die Hard? Can I get to an air shaft and fight my way to Hans Gruber and save the girl? Sadly, I will not know. As I started to fall asleep in the elevator, it suddenly moved and started going up. The doors opened up on the 6th floor and I was a free man once again.

Forty five minutes I was in there. It didn't really seem like it was all that long. I wonder if I would have been alright with being in there longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment