Wednesday, April 27, 2011

...I whip my questions back and forth. The Caustic Interview (Part 2)

This is Part II of the Caustic interview. Part I can be read here.

The interview continues....



Falken: That's great that you're not limiting yourself though. I've listened to Pre-Golden Vag Caustic for a while now and taking a listen to the new album... I'm blown away. It's a great album start to finish that is probably going to be in my rotation for months to come now. That doesn't happen too easily, and not just because I know you.
What is your take on remixing music in general (yours or others)?


Caustic: I'm all about it from a learning standpoint, as I try out ideas I might not normally go for with my own stuff or to practice new techniques with someone else's music.

I've always seen remixes as an incredibly easy way to get new fans, as if the remix is solid and they like your spin on the track they might check out your music. I know I've tracked down tons of artists over the years by just hearing a cool remix from them.

I'm always more critical of my remixes than my original work, because I feel like I have a responsibility to try and kick ass for the artist I'm remixing. Because of this I generally feel like I did a shit job on the mix, but most of the time I'll go back and realize the remix is actually okay, if not a lot better than I remembered.

It's odd getting remixes done, as I'm often disappointed by them until I realize that I listened to it with what I EXPECTED them to do, and of course they'd have know idea what I expected because, well, then I'd have done the remix for them or something. It takes a while for most remixes of my stuff to grow on me, but often I enjoy the remixes more than the original tracks.

Falken: If you could work on an album with any one particular artist/band, who would it be?

Caustic: Mike Patton. His output over the last 20 years has been a massive inspiration to me and to work on someone that creative vocally and musically would just be fun as hell. I'd just hope I could keep up.

There's plenty of others as well. Sometimes (well, a LOT of times) I wish this was my main source of income as I'd love to just indulge every creative whim I have with other artists and collaborate all the time. Unfortunately real life doesn't work that way, so I have to fit it in where I can. I'm just happy to be able to do it at all, when it comes down to it, though.

Falken: Patton is one of those guys that I think most people our age appreciate but others younger just dont get the genius that he has when it comes to music. I can listen to anything he does on repeat for days and I won't get sick of it at all.

So, as of right now, I know you've got a day job (I won't divulge what it is here, no worries) that "pays the bills". With the recent album coming out and your recharge on doing live shows again...where do you see Caustic going?
Caustic: No clue, actually. I'm still getting all the stuff out to backers for kickstarter and after that I honestly hope to just relax for a bit and spend some time with my wife. I've turned down a bunch of really kind offers for shows and a tour or two just because I need some freakin' balance back in my life. It's been crazy the last six months and I need some perspective to see where to go next.

FalkenI can relate to the balance thing. I've got school, I'm a dad, I work full time and then some, and I have my girl as well. It's not an easy thing to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment